Transit Satellite PE won't import dictionaries with new project
Thread poster: maferal
maferal
maferal  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:35
English to Spanish
Apr 9, 2005

I've translated two projects using Transit Satellite PE. I didn't have any problems with the first one, even though I was new to the tool. I returned it to the client and he had no technical problems on his part either. When he sent me the second one, however, I and the other translator working on the project were unable to open the dictionaries associated with the project. We had to complete a huge project with no help at all, except for the only two entries that could be found in the dictionar... See more
I've translated two projects using Transit Satellite PE. I didn't have any problems with the first one, even though I was new to the tool. I returned it to the client and he had no technical problems on his part either. When he sent me the second one, however, I and the other translator working on the project were unable to open the dictionaries associated with the project. We had to complete a huge project with no help at all, except for the only two entries that could be found in the dictionaries. Now I received a third one and I have the same problem, except that this time there are 0 dictionary entries.

What am I doing wrong? I suspect it may have something to do with the message we get when we open the project. Do you want to overwrite existing dictionaries? I always say yes because I assume the client is sending me an updated version, but instead I get nothing. Any ideas on what might not be working? The client uses the professional version and he can't reproduce the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Fernando Alvarez-Gonzalez
Collapse

Agua
Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe it is the folders? Apr 9, 2005

Hello,

Just an idea, since I do not work too much with that programme: do you have everything in the same folder or in the folders that are needed? I had problems before because the .prj file (which has the definition) was not in the place it should... Maybe dictionaries work like that too.

Maybe when you overwrite the dictionnaries you then need to indicate the programme where is the one that should be used.

Good luck,

Mar

... See more
Hello,

Just an idea, since I do not work too much with that programme: do you have everything in the same folder or in the folders that are needed? I had problems before because the .prj file (which has the definition) was not in the place it should... Maybe dictionaries work like that too.

Maybe when you overwrite the dictionnaries you then need to indicate the programme where is the one that should be used.

Good luck,

Mar

[Edited at 2005-04-09 09:14]
Collapse

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:35
German to English
+ ...
Martif files Apr 9, 2005

Hi Fernando,

if both you and the other translator are having problems, then it is unlikely that the problem lies with you.

You could ask your project manager to send the dictionary separately as a Martif file, which you then import into a new dictionary that you have previously created.

Alternatively you can at least manually extract the terms:

1. Make a copy of the *.pxf file
2. Rename it to *.ZIP
3. Unzip it (WinZip)
4. Lo
... See more
Hi Fernando,

if both you and the other translator are having problems, then it is unlikely that the problem lies with you.

You could ask your project manager to send the dictionary separately as a Martif file, which you then import into a new dictionary that you have previously created.

Alternatively you can at least manually extract the terms:

1. Make a copy of the *.pxf file
2. Rename it to *.ZIP
3. Unzip it (WinZip)
4. Look for the *.TXE file (usually in a subdirectory)
5. Open it in notepad/wordpad
6. Copy everything (CTRL + A, then CTRL + C)
7. Paste into a new word document.

The individual terms are within the delimiters
"angle bracket" term "close angle bracket"___""angle bracket"/term "close angle bracket"

(All the angle brackets < > disappear when the post is submitted)

Just delete all the extra rubbish to get at the terms. Put these into an import file and import into the dictionary.

This is a very long-winded method, but it is better than nothing.

Good luck,
Jill

[Edited at 2005-04-09 11:57]

[Edited at 2005-04-09 11:58]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit Satellite PE won't import dictionaries with new project

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »