Disaster: Entire target text replaced by source text after unknown key combination. What to do?
Thread poster: Ilka Nahmmacher
Ilka Nahmmacher
Ilka Nahmmacher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:11
German to English
Oct 8, 2023

I was working happily on a large file, almost done, when I accidentally hit an unknown key combination. It changed ALL of the target text to the source text. I closed the file immediately without saving. When I reopened it, the source text was still where the target text should be.

I looked for a backup file because it creates a backup every 10 minutes, but I could not find it. Does anyone know where it should be and back the extension is?

How is this even possible?
... See more
I was working happily on a large file, almost done, when I accidentally hit an unknown key combination. It changed ALL of the target text to the source text. I closed the file immediately without saving. When I reopened it, the source text was still where the target text should be.

I looked for a backup file because it creates a backup every 10 minutes, but I could not find it. Does anyone know where it should be and back the extension is?

How is this even possible?

N.B. Oddly enough, the project folder contained the English file, which was only missing the last hour of work, so the loss wasn't that great. I don't understand what happened there though.

[Edited at 2023-10-08 20:21 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Strange Oct 8, 2023

I don't understand what happened there though.

[Edited at 2023-10-08 20:21 GMT]

There is a menu item to reset to source but afaik there’s no keyboard shortcut assigned to it.

It's located here:

And there is a safety check:

[Edited at 2023-10-09 08:31 GMT]

Ilka Nahmmacher
Ilka Nahmmacher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:11
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds right Oct 10, 2023

Thanks, Hans. I must have hit a secret key code and maybe, by coincidence, there happened to be an Enter in what I was typing quickly -- without looking at the screen -- and so I confirmed the replacement. Thank you, I didn't know about that feature.

Hans Lenting

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disaster: Entire target text replaced by source text after unknown key combination. What to do?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »