Thread poster: Akiko Eizaki
Akiko Eizaki
Akiko Eizaki
France
Local time: 11:04
French to Japanese
+ ...
Nov 8, 2023

I have just started as a freelance translator in France.
I have an offer from LinkedIn to work with a translation agency.

I have some concerns and the first thing they say is that they don't want a receipt. And secondly, they say that there is no contract to sign, as our email correspondence will take the place of a contract.
I then replied that I need both a receipt and a contract and am currently waiting for their reply.

I was concerned that it might be a
... See more

I have some concerns and the first thing they say is that they don't want a receipt. And secondly, they say that there is no contract to sign, as our email correspondence will take the place of a contract.
I then replied that I need both a receipt and a contract and am currently waiting for their reply.

I was concerned that it might be a scam and searched for the company name, but there are no reports to that effect.

How do you deal with these translation agents when you come across them?
Collapse

Zamzam Bayian

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:04
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Receipt? Nov 8, 2023

What do you mean by a receipt?

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Zea_Mays
Jorge Payan
philgoddard

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Read the forums Nov 8, 2023

Akiko Eizaki wrote:

Read the forums carefully, especially threads about late payment, scams, and so on.
Also be aware that rates accepted by agencies in certain countries tend to be very low.

Regards,
Dan

expressisverbis
Zamzam Bayian

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Hm Nov 8, 2023

Legally they might be right. Suppose you end up with an unpaid invoice. If they contest it, then regardless of whether you have a contract or not you'll need to sue them in order to collect. The court will then evaluate the claim by looking at the evidence, such as the e-mail trail. A formal PO or contract doesn't have any particular legal force, it just makes the transaction details easier to prove. An e-mail, or even an oral communication, is in itself a contract. (Talking about Sweden here, o... See more
Legally they might be right. Suppose you end up with an unpaid invoice. If they contest it, then regardless of whether you have a contract or not you'll need to sue them in order to collect. The court will then evaluate the claim by looking at the evidence, such as the e-mail trail. A formal PO or contract doesn't have any particular legal force, it just makes the transaction details easier to prove. An e-mail, or even an oral communication, is in itself a contract. (Talking about Sweden here, other jurisdictions might be different.)

But payment aside, a translation agency without a contract is weird. At the very least they'd want you to sign something about confidentiality of customer data. I've worked without a contract for agencies, but that's very rare.

(I don't understand "receipt" either...)
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Receipt Nov 8, 2023

Akiko Eizaki wrote:
I have some concerns and the first thing they say is that they don't want a receipt.

If you mean that you are going to give them a receipt for the money that they pay you, then: in my 25 years of translation, no agency has ever asked me for a receipt, nor have I ever given one. If you mean that you want them to give you a receipt, then my question is the same as Joakim's and Maria's: what do you mean by "receipt"?

And secondly, they say that there is no contract to sign, as our email correspondence will take the place of a contract.

Legally speaking, they're right -- you don't need a separate contract and the email correspondence will act as the contract/agreement in case of dispute. I agree with Joakim that it's odd for a translation agency NOT to have a contract that they want you to sign, so this may be a red flag.

I then replied that I need both a receipt and a contract...

What do you mean when you say that YOU need a receipt? What kind of a receipt are you wanting?

I was concerned that it might be a scam and searched for the company name, but there are no reports to that effect.

Do you mean that you could not find any reports that they are scammers, or do you mean that you found reports about them, but that those reports were all good and/or fair? You have to do due diligence, i.e. find out if they actually exist as a company (e.g. do they have contact details that you can verify, etc.).

Laura Carvalho

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Contracts and NDAs Nov 9, 2023

Joakim Braun wrote:

(...) An e-mail, or even an oral communication, is in itself a contract. (Talking about Sweden here, other jurisdictions might be different.)

But payment aside, a translation agency without a contract is weird. At the very least they'd want you to sign something about confidentiality of customer data. I've worked without a contract for agencies, but that's very rare.

(I don't understand "receipt" either...)

I can assure you that the emails exchanged are evidence enough to take a client to court for non-payment. That’s what I did some 20 years ago and I won the case…

P.S. I have been working happily with my longest-standing-customer (a Belgian agency) with no NDA or contract…

expressisverbis

Akiko Eizaki
Akiko Eizaki
France
French to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Receipt=Invoice Nov 9, 2023

I am sorry for the confusion caused by my poor English.
When I said receipt, I meant INVOICE.

Thank you for your answer.
I did not know that an email correspondence could be a substitute for a contract.
The terms and conditions offered by the translation company in the example are very normal, including the rates, and there are no elements that could be considered fraudulent.
I will do some more searching, including the company's registration information.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How I deal with them? Nov 9, 2023

I trust my “gut” feeling (over the years, I developed a good sixth sense for these things), but I also back it up with due diligence checks…

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Invoice Nov 9, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

What do you mean by a receipt?

I think the OP means an invoice. DeepL told me...

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Receipt = PO Nov 9, 2023

I think he means a PO (purchase order) by "receipt".
Don't trust DeepL.

[Edited at 2023-11-09 09:52 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Wording Nov 10, 2023

Sounds like purchase orders and invoices.

Your mileage may vary, as they say. Occasionally overly "casual" clients who just send you stuff and ask you to bill them by email turn out to be ok-ish.

(Moreso if you know who they are or someone who works with them, because there are tons of scammers too)

Don't let them run up large debts though. And of course try to give preference to more organized clients when you get the chance.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Akiko Eizaki wrote:
I have some concerns and the first thing they say is that they don't want a receipt.

If you mean that you are going to give them a receipt for the money that they pay you, then: in my 25 years of translation, no agency has ever asked me for a receipt, nor have I ever given one. If you mean that you want them to give you a receipt, then my question is the same as Joakim's and Maria's: what do you mean by "receipt"?

And secondly, they say that there is no contract to sign, as our email correspondence will take the place of a contract.

Legally speaking, they're right -- you don't need a separate contract and the email correspondence will act as the contract/agreement in case of dispute. I agree with Joakim that it's odd for a translation agency NOT to have a contract that they want you to sign, so this may be a red flag.

I then replied that I need both a receipt and a contract...

What do you mean when you say that YOU need a receipt? What kind of a receipt are you wanting?

Do you mean that you could not find any reports that they are scammers, or do you mean that you found reports about them, but that those reports were all good and/or fair? You have to do due diligence, i.e. find out if they actually exist as a company (e.g. do they have contact details that you can verify, etc.).

[Edited at 2023-11-10 21:30 GMT]

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:04
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Myriads of variations Nov 11, 2023

I work with agencies where I don't have to issue invoices but they issue POs for each job to be done and calculate the total amount at the end of month and pay me the lump sum.
I also work with agencies where they issue a PO and I have to send them an invoice to get paid.
And I also work with agencies where they just issue a PO number to be listed on my invoice, send them an invoice at the time of delivery with the given PO number and they pay me.

Last, but not least I a
... See more
I work with agencies where I don't have to issue invoices but they issue POs for each job to be done and calculate the total amount at the end of month and pay me the lump sum.
I also work with agencies where they issue a PO and I have to send them an invoice to get paid.
And I also work with agencies where they just issue a PO number to be listed on my invoice, send them an invoice at the time of delivery with the given PO number and they pay me.

Last, but not least I also work with agencies where they send me a NDA or a contract to sign before getting a job assigned, and after sending them the signed NDA or contract, I get the job or I don't hear from them again.

I don't think there is much to worry, since there are so many variations because they are not one company, but each company has its own way of doing business.
Collapse

Dan Lucas

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
? Nov 11, 2023

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

How does this work for them in terms of tax law? What they pay you is a cost for them, and to book this correctly they'd need evidence (an invoice) of those costs.
You'd have to issue an invoice in any case too for tax reasons. Or does this work differently in your country of residence?

I work with agencies with automated invoice issuing (I don't have to send the invoice to them, they prepare it for me), but I've never encountered a business (and country) where _no_ invoice is required.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-11-11 14:08 GMT]

Daryo

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Nevertheless Nov 11, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:
I work with agencies with automated invoice issuing (I don't have to send the invoice to them, they prepare it for me), but I've never encountered a business (and country) where _no_ invoice is required.

No idea how this works in tax law, but work it does. Some of my larger Japanese agency clients take the same approach. I guess that the list of jobs generated acts as that proof, provided that the system includes sending it to the translator for approval.

Regards,
Dan

Christopher Schröder
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I have Nov 11, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

One of the world’s biggest agencies, based in the US.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to deal with translation agents who say they have no contracts and receipts

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »