Lack of work... Now I want to offer Pro-Bono for my specialties...
دھاگا پوسٹ کرنے والے: José J. Martínez
José J. Martínez
José J. Martínez  Identity Verified
امریکہ
Local time: 04:56
رکن
اسپینیسےانگریزی
+ ...
Sep 19



 
ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:56
جرمنسےانگریزی
+ ...
Makes no sense Sep 20

So you're complaining about a lack of work, yet now you want to work for free? I don't understand.
Put your energy into thinking of new business opportunities, improving your skills, contacting new clients, or doing whatever helps you, but don't advertise your work for free. It doesn't make sense at all.


Andriy Yasharov
expressisverbis
ATIL KAYHAN
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
writeaway
Christel Zipfel
texjax DDS PhD
 
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
پرتگال
Local time: 12:56
رکن (2007)
پرتگالیسےانگریزی
+ ...
There is no pro bono work... Sep 20

I have worked pro bono occasionally during my 40 years of professional translation experience, but I must say that if paying clients are entrusting their work to AI, it is only natural that charities do the same…

writeaway
Christel Zipfel
expressisverbis
Maria Laura Curzi
ibz
 
Gregor Trebec
Gregor Trebec
سلووینیا
Local time: 13:56
سلوویائیسےانگریزی
+ ...
Well... Sep 20

Well, Asians will be more than happy to have you.

Michael Newton
Jorge Payan
 
José J. Martínez
José J. Martínez  Identity Verified
امریکہ
Local time: 04:56
رکن
اسپینیسےانگریزی
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe it does not make sense but... Sep 20

Ok, I get a lot of offers but they are not offers for what I like. I do not like interpreting, I do not like games, I do not like anything that is not traditional written translation. If it is not that, I do not want to do it. So then, if I am just sitting and not doing anything, well, I prefer to translaste in a charitable way.

 
ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:56
جرمنسےانگریزی
+ ...
Damaging the market even more Sep 20

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, José, but by doing this, you're damaging the market even more. Just imagine a painter who can't get enough jobs, for example. Would he then start working for free just because he likes painting?
Or a dentist who treats anyone for free? (I'm not talking about the occasional free treatment for someone who can't afford necessary dental care.)
Translation is demanding and not just a hobby.
By the way, I assume that you still need to earn a living. S
... See more
I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, José, but by doing this, you're damaging the market even more. Just imagine a painter who can't get enough jobs, for example. Would he then start working for free just because he likes painting?
Or a dentist who treats anyone for free? (I'm not talking about the occasional free treatment for someone who can't afford necessary dental care.)
Translation is demanding and not just a hobby.
By the way, I assume that you still need to earn a living. So where does the money come from?
▲ Collapse


Emanuele Vacca
Agnes Fatrai
Maria Laura Curzi
Daryo
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Jennifer Levey
 
Daryo
Daryo
Local time: 12:56
انگریزیسےسربیائی
+ ...
Either way ... Sep 21

José J. Martínez wrote:

Ok, I get a lot of offers but they are not offers for what I like. I do not like interpreting, I do not like games, I do not like anything that is not traditional written translation. If it is not that, I do not want to do it. So then, if I am just sitting and not doing anything, well, I prefer to translaste in a charitable way.


Either you need an income, in which case it looks like it's high time to start thinking out of the box - which would not include working pro-bono translations (as DEFINITELY not of any use nowadays: what's the point of working for free so that later you can work for peanuts??)

or

you don't need the income - in which case working pro-bono translation is ALSO of no use. Choosing a book you like and translating it is in my view a far better option: YOU decide what to translate AND you might even be lucky to get some royalties and / or recognition as literary translator.

My 2 cents.


ibz
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Renée van Bijsterveld
 
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
جرمنی
جرمنسےڈچ
+ ...
You still... Sep 21

José J. Martínez wrote:

...haven't changed your rates so far here on your proz profile.
16 years ago I was approached by a Dutch agency with the hint that freelancers wanted to pay him to get work (hoi Steffen!)...


 
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
پرتگال
Local time: 12:56
پرتگالیسےانگریزی
+ ...
My thoughts Sep 22

I agree with the fellow translators who have pointed out an inconsistency here.
You say you lack work, but then you explain that you do receive offers, just not offers that match the type of translation you want to do. That is, of course, a perfectly valid choice, but it is still a choice.
Every translator has different priorities and circumstances, both professionally and personally.
In my case, I simply cannot work for free.
First and foremost, I have to make a living
... See more
I agree with the fellow translators who have pointed out an inconsistency here.
You say you lack work, but then you explain that you do receive offers, just not offers that match the type of translation you want to do. That is, of course, a perfectly valid choice, but it is still a choice.
Every translator has different priorities and circumstances, both professionally and personally.
In my case, I simply cannot work for free.
First and foremost, I have to make a living from my work, and beyond that, I have a great deal of respect for what I do and for the value of professional translation.
I would not feel comfortable simply giving my professional work away because I happen to have some free time or for some other reason.
Sometimes necessity is precisely what makes us get moving, put our hands to work and pursue an objective instead of waiting for the right thing to fall into our lap.
If your ultimate goal is to find pro bono translation work, then I would suggest actively looking for it rather than simply announcing it here and waiting for someone to offer it to you.
And you already have a place to start: ProZ Pro Bono.
Although I’m not familiar with the service or how it works, it seems to be exactly what you’re looking for.
It was created specifically to connect language professionals who want to volunteer their skills with organisations that need them:

https://www.prozprobono.world/

Finally, and this is just my personal opinion as a fellow translator, I think there is another aspect worth considering.
Publicly announcing on a professional forum that you are willing to provide your professional services for free can seriously undermine the perceived value of translation and of the translator's work.
We already have enough pressure on our profession when it comes to rates and the perception of what professional translation is worth.
If you genuinely want to do pro bono work, go and look for the organisations that need it.
That's how you can find it, you don't wait for it to come looking for you.
Things don't simply happen by magic in life. When we really want something, we have to take action and work towards it.
In any case, I genuinely wish you all the best and hope you find the kind of work you are looking for.
▲ Collapse


ibz
Renée van Bijsterveld
Maria Laura Curzi
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Sebastian Witte
Vera Schoen
Philip Lees
 
Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
چلی
Local time: 08:56
انگریزیسےاسپینی
+ ...
Absolutely right! Sep 22

expressisverbis wrote:
Publicly announcing on a professional forum that you are willing to provide your professional services for free can seriously undermine the perceived value of translation and of the translator's work.


And the same goes for most (I won't say 'all'...) respectable professions.

Radical underselling of any worthwhile service is a shot in the service provider's own foot, leads to devaluation of the market value of the product, and is disloyal towards others in the profession.
JL


ibz
expressisverbis
Jorge Payan
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Michael Newton
Philip Lees
Yasutomo Kanazawa
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lack of work... Now I want to offer Pro-Bono for my specialties...







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »