Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 11:49
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Another request May 25, 2017

Also is it possible to show "action" tab or save button whenever I edit a job tab?

It is normally hidden and I need to look for "action" tab every time I save data.

Or it would be a good idea that they are automatically saved after you edit or close tab.

I use word count for count, but it shows a default zero and it is added at the end of the number I enter (meaning I need to erase the zero) - is it possible not to use this?

Many thanks,

Chie. I wrote:

Hello again Eugene,

Firstly many thanks for your developments, it worked very well. And it is fantastic to find Trados count can be imported now.

Is it possible to apply default language direction, rate, service and default currency by client?
because I always do the same service and use same currency, same rate by client.

I appreciate it if you could automatically fill them by client or when you only have one option, (I have to set dropdown each time even if they are the same and there is only one language direction option)

Thank you,

Chie

Eugene Kuchynski
Eugene Kuchynski
Belarus
Local time: 05:49
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Answers May 25, 2017

Hello, Chie,

Thank you for continuing to learn the program and for your questions. Will try to answer:

Firstly many thanks for your developments, it worked very well. And it is fantastic to find Trados count can be imported now.

Thank you! Indeed this new feature already became my absolute favorite in the whole program.

Also is it possible to show "action" tab or save button whenever I edit a job tab? It is normally hidden and I need to look for "action" tab every time I save data.
Or it would be a good idea that they are automatically saved after you edit or close tab.

On my computer, when I open few tabs and switch between them, 'Actions' tab in the menu is selected by default when I return back to Job (or another) form. Isn't it your case? Also, when you simply try to close the tab, the system will offer you to save unsaved changes.

I use word count for count, but it shows a default zero and it is added at the end of the number I enter (meaning I need to erase the zero) - is it possible not to use this?

This applies not only to zero values, but any other values. If you already have 100 there, you also have to delete it to enter new value. Just please use the following approach. Instead of entering the column via mouse click, start editing the row moving from first to last column with the Tab or Enter buttons. Fill Fuzzy type, hit Enter, you will be moved to the Quantity column, and zero text will be selected. Simply start typing quantity - zero is deleted and you needed value.

Is it possible to apply default language direction, rate, service and default currency by client? because I always do the same service and use same currency, same rate by client.

Well, I can create such parameters in Settings. But simply offer you to use Copy function or list of last clients in the Dashboard. In this case, new job is created on the base of previous one, and you have to simply enter new wordcount (and of course new deadline, PO number, etc.).

I appreciate it if you could automatically fill them by client or when you only have one option, (I have to set dropdown each time even if they are the same and there is only one language direction option)

Small hint with dropdowns - when you are in empty drop down list, it is not necessary to open it and select a value. Simply type first letter (like, type 'w' and it will offer you Words in the Unit field). But the main idea is to use Copy function - this will allow to forget about filling the same data again and again. Personally, I never user a function to create new empty job - always on the base of any previous job. From the other case, if the program will be filling these fields automatically, it may lead to mistakes. So I decided not to do that, but just leave this selection for user.

Hope this all helps!

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 03:49
English to German
Digital certificate? May 25, 2017

Eugene Kuchynski wrote:

Finally would like to inform that BaccS is now digitally signed. New certificate means that now it will be much more trusted by Windows SmartScreen and antivirus software.

I've just downloaded BaccS because I'm a software developer and am curious about the certificate.

Actually, the Edge browser gave a warning and Windows SmartScreen wanted to be disabled in order to install the .exe. So, certain certificates might be expensive snake oil?

(Windows 10, Creators Update 1703)

Eugene Kuchynski
Eugene Kuchynski
Belarus
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
No sense May 25, 2017

Rolf Keller wrote:

I've just downloaded BaccS because I'm a software developer and am curious about the certificate.

Actually, the Edge browser gave a warning and Windows SmartScreen wanted to be disabled in order to install the .exe. So, certain certificates might be expensive snake oil?

(Windows 10, Creators Update 1703)

Thanks for testing and sharing results, Rolf. Yes, on my PC reaction is the same. Program is still blocked by SmartScreen. Almost no sense in this certificate. After reading some forums for programmers I found information that these days digital sign almost not influence on SmartScreen behavior, and there is no simple way to make the software trusted. The only way is time - it will stop to block it only with growing of installations around the world. So, this certificate seems to be a waste of money. Incredible system - think many users who downloaded the program wasn't even able to install it.

Malcolm Rowe
Malcolm Rowe
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:49
French to English
+ ...
Is the ad-supported Online version still available? Jun 23, 2017

Hi Eugene.

I was just wondering whether you are still maintaining the online version or whether it is just the Windows app now. If you are maintaining the online app, does it have the same functionality as the Windows app or has it been left behind?

I am not currently a freelancer but am considering making that move and am trying to weigh up the pros and cons of desktop apps vs online apps vs USB portable apps.

Obviously for online apps, there are the data
... See more
Hi Eugene.

I was just wondering whether you are still maintaining the online version or whether it is just the Windows app now. If you are maintaining the online app, does it have the same functionality as the Windows app or has it been left behind?

I am not currently a freelancer but am considering making that move and am trying to weigh up the pros and cons of desktop apps vs online apps vs USB portable apps.

Obviously for online apps, there are the data storage and security issues that were raised earlier in the thread, but then for locally stored apps there are the issues of what happens if you fail to back up sufficiently and your hard drive has a catastrophic failure, whereas online tools generally have strong backup at the servers.

Assuming the online app is still going, would it be fairly simple at some future stage to transfer data from it to the desktop version or vice versa?

Thanks.

Malcolm
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Don't believe that the cloud replaces independent backups Jun 25, 2017

ma1cius wrote:
for locally stored apps there are the issues of what happens if you fail to back up sufficiently and your hard drive has a catastrophic failure

Storing apps and storing user data are two different things. You can use a locally stored app but use the cloud to store data that belong to that app; and vice versa.

You need backups anyway, regardless of whether you use online, offline, or USB stick applications. An office PC with lots of personal & work-related things and settings is not a smartphone that can be reanimated & reconfigured from the cloud in 10 minutes.

Just think it over what you will do if your PC doesn't boot. A hard drive crash is not the only possibility: Even a totally healthy disk can fail to boot if some data is corrupted, let alone things like Wannacry. Probably you don't want to collect all your lost data from several different places in the cloud.

Eugene Kuchynski
Eugene Kuchynski
Belarus
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Still no, but planned Jun 25, 2017

Hello, Malcolm,

Thank you for the question. Indeed, there was online version, but I removed it on the 1st of June. For a few reasons. The first is that I personally disappointed in all these cloud things (always wanted to create desktop program, but under the pressure of fashion changed my mind and created online one - it was a mistake). The second is that it's difficult to support both versions for one man. By the way, BaccS is also portable - it is possible to keep it in any folde
... See more
Hello, Malcolm,

Thank you for the question. Indeed, there was online version, but I removed it on the 1st of June. For a few reasons. The first is that I personally disappointed in all these cloud things (always wanted to create desktop program, but under the pressure of fashion changed my mind and created online one - it was a mistake). The second is that it's difficult to support both versions for one man. By the way, BaccS is also portable - it is possible to keep it in any folder, including USB drive or any folder which is synced with OneDrive/Google drive/Dropbox.. This solves the question of HDD fail.

If to speak about plans, I will finish current new feature by 1st of July (exclusive one!), then will work on flexible planning feature, and then will add possibility to create database backups not only on local drive, but on cloud drives too.

I'm not sure if we (freelance translators) need a tool, which is "accessible from everywhere". All management things are usually done before or after work. We'll think, and if there will be real need in such access, there will be a new incarnation of online version, fully synced with the desktop.

P.s. Can't wait to present a new feature which I'm currently working on!
Collapse

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel
Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
Feature request(s) Jul 1, 2017

Hi Eugene,

Could you add in the Invoices tab a "Total" box under the Amount (without tax) and under the Tax columns? So that it will be easier to see the income without tax and the total tax?

And continuing this idea, could you also add in the Payments tab an Amount column (without tax) and a Tax column with totals underneath? This way one could see their netto actual income and how much VAT is due. I know that this might be problematic a bit if an invoice is not paid i
... See more
Hi Eugene,

Could you add in the Invoices tab a "Total" box under the Amount (without tax) and under the Tax columns? So that it will be easier to see the income without tax and the total tax?

And continuing this idea, could you also add in the Payments tab an Amount column (without tax) and a Tax column with totals underneath? This way one could see their netto actual income and how much VAT is due. I know that this might be problematic a bit if an invoice is not paid in full, but ususally they are, so it would help in most cases.

Thank you.
Collapse

Eugene Kuchynski
Eugene Kuchynski
Belarus
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Sure! Jul 1, 2017

Hi, Yiftah!

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel wrote:

If I understand correctly, than you can implement this request by yourself. Simply right click on the table footer below necessary field and select Sum. In the result you will get Total below this column. There are also other functions, like Max, Min, Average. You can also combine them and display multiple totals for teach columns.

And continuing this idea, could you also add in the Payments tab an Amount column (without tax) and a Tax column with totals underneath? This way one could see their netto actual income and how much VAT is due. I know that this might be problematic a bit if an invoice is not paid in full, but ususally they are, so it would help in most cases.

Well, if invoice is partially paid, we can easily calculate these amounts using simple proportion. You can expect to see these columns in Moday's update

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel
Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
Thank you Eugene Jul 1, 2017

Eugene Kuchynski wrote:

Hi, Yiftah!

If I understand correctly, than you can implement this request by yourself. Simply right click on the table footer below necessary field and select Sum. In the result you will get Total below this column. There are also other functions, like Max, Min, Average. You can also combine them and display multiple totals for teach columns.

I Didn't know this feature. Perfect!

Well, if invoice is partially paid, we can easily calculate these amounts using simple proportion. You can expect to see these columns in Moday's update

Thank you!

Eugene Kuchynski
Eugene Kuchynski
Belarus
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Partnership with ProZ.com! Jul 3, 2017

Hello!

Finally this day has come and I can share this news. Happy to announce about partnership between ProZ.com and BaccS!

Would like to express profound gratitude to colleagues from ProZ.com, who believed in this tool and made all this possible. Thank you!

To celebrate this, with latest update we switch from version 1 to version 2. As against to general approach, when new version brings a lot of new functions, BaccS will get them with time. New fea
... See more
Hello!

Finally this day has come and I can share this news. Happy to announce about partnership between ProZ.com and BaccS!

Would like to express profound gratitude to colleagues from ProZ.com, who believed in this tool and made all this possible. Thank you!

To celebrate this, with latest update we switch from version 1 to version 2. As against to general approach, when new version brings a lot of new functions, BaccS will get them with time. New features and direction mean a lot of new things.

From today, all ProZ.com Plus package subscribers get unlimited free access to BaccS – the program is now included in this package. If you’re the one, than in addition to all benefits of this package you will get one more tool in the stack. Hopefully, useful tool.

Version 2 already has the following features implemented:
- Connection with your ProZ.com account.
- Ability to quickly post, edit and view WIWO entries (What I’m Working On now).
- Ability to link clients with Blue Board records to get general details about them, view and post feedback.
- Get list of recommended clients to leave feedback.
- A lot of small fixes.
Of course, these functions available not only to Plus package subscribers. Detailed explanation of new stuff can be found in this series of help articles

This partnership means a lot of new plans. Here is what to expect in nearest future:
- Set availability in Proz profile from within BaccS
- Take part in polls
- View client jobs/invoices/payments from within client editing form (user's request, I personally do not like it too much)
- Exceptional new planning tool
- Database backup to cloud (e.g. Google Drive)

Program crashes are rare, but happen. Please don't take it unkindly - these things get quick fixes.

Biggest thanks to all who supports this initiative!!
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Mac version Jul 3, 2017

Eugene Kuchynski wrote:

Hello Eugene,

Congratulations on your deal!

Will there be a version that can be used on Mac–either natively or via Java?

Hans

[Edited at 2017-07-03 05:54 GMT]

Eugene Kuchynski
Eugene Kuchynski
Belarus
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately, not planned Jul 3, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

Hello Eugene,

Congratulations on your deal!

Will there be a version that can be used on Mac–either natively or via Java?

Hans

Hello, Hans, and thank you!
Yes, there were few requests about Mac version. The program is written in C#/.NET, which means full incompatibility with Mac. To make the port, it must be fully re-written, from scratch, with new language and UI. Of course, for one man this task is impossible. From the other hand, recent news shows that Microsoft goes in the direction of cross-platforming (Xamarin), and maybe there will be support of Mac soon. Taking into account that even large CAT tools still has no Mac version, for small BaccS this is pardonable

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:49
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Congratulations Eugene! Jul 3, 2017

Eugene Kuchynski wrote:

Hello!

To celebrate this, with latest update we switch from version 1 to version 2. As against to general approach, when new version brings a lot of new functions, BaccS will get them with time. New features and direction mean a lot of new things.

From today, all ProZ.com Plus package subscribers get unlimited free access to BaccS – the program is now included in this package. If you’re the one, than in addition to all benefits of this package you will get one more tool in the stack. Hopefully, useful tool.

Version 2 already has the following features implemented:
- Connection with your ProZ.com account.
- Ability to quickly post, edit and view WIWO entries (What I’m Working On now).
- Ability to link clients with Blue Board records to get general details about them, view and post feedback.
- Get list of recommended clients to leave feedback.
- A lot of small fixes.
Of course, these functions available not only to Plus package subscribers. Detailed explanation of new stuff can be found in this series of help articles

This partnership means a lot of new plans. Here is what to expect in nearest future:
- Set availability in Proz profile from within BaccS
- Take part in polls
- View client jobs/invoices/payments from within client editing form (user's request, I personally do not like it too much)
- Exceptional new planning tool
- Database backup to cloud (e.g. Google Drive)

Program crashes are rare, but happen. Please don't take it unkindly - these things get quick fixes.

Biggest thanks to all who supports this initiative!!

As you know, I am a very happy user of BaccS, and am currently having fun playing with the new Proz.com integration features! It's great that TO3000 finally has some decent competiton.

Michael

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
flash installation Jul 11, 2017

indeed, 1 minute by the clock to install it!

some problems: I noticed the Report folder doesn't exist until you run the software the first time
maybe better inform users before they panic

I tried to create my 2 languages and it's was easy, I tried then to setup language directions and it was impossible; tried the Help and found it's for a different GUI so that, for example, Iso tabs aren't sh
... See more
indeed, 1 minute by the clock to install it!

some problems: I noticed the Report folder doesn't exist until you run the software the first time
maybe better inform users before they panic

I tried to create my 2 languages and it's was easy, I tried then to setup language directions and it was impossible; tried the Help and found it's for a different GUI so that, for example, Iso tabs aren't showed!

moreover, the Help is very simple so that in this case I was totally helpless

now I'm still a fan of TO3000, I had no intention to change, but Baccs came for free with the Proz membership and my wife started to follow my path, so I thought letting her using TO3000 and using Baccs myself was a good idea ... if only the feeling with it was good, that is not the case so far

I remember I used TO3000 just after I installed it, while with Baccs I was even unable to create a simple thing as language directions and the Help was useless

I think I'll go towards TO3000 3D instead, sorry

Claudio

[Edited at 2017-07-12 18:59 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BaccS - Windows-based management and invoicing software for translators

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »